Sunday, February 12, 2017

Twenty-eight, Revelation




Twenty-Eight



Revelation



28 May 1829



In the consternation of yesterday's events, I forgot that it was Sunday.  This usually is insignificant in our household, except that we avail ourselves of going to Uncle's.  I previously had other plans in mind for that day, though, as I had intended to go to the Methodist services at the Terrys.  Truthfully, I wanted again to attack the pianoforte with Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata", the piece I used to play years ago when I was feeling melancholy.  I had other things on my mind yesterday, however, and the trip to the Terrys was forgotten.



I came home from my Great Walk just before dark yesterday, well after supper, and I hungrily attacked the dried bread that was left on the table.  I also found a peach, recently plucked from a tree planted just before our arrival in Alabama five years ago.  The tree yielded up a few little peaches, tiny in comparison to what we used to have in South Carolina, but to my ravenous state of mind it was a banquet.  I bit into it, and quickly found it to be a little hard and more than a little sour.  I cared not, for I was starving.



In my absence, Nan and Patsy had packed some belongings in a trunk, Nan tearfully and Patsy cheerfully, or so Mother told me late last night.  Uncle was about to not only have his usual Sunday visit, but it would be turning into quite the stay, I suspect.  Mother did not go, but sent Thomas with the wagon.  I have not had the report of what transpired, but Uncle must have agreed for the two sisters to stay, as the girls were absent last evening and Thomas had returned.



Mother came down from the upstairs upon hearing my presence, banging about, looking for food.  She look more worried than angry, and for that, I was thankful.  She told me that she knew my nature, and further knew that I would not be very agreeable to Father being in the house.  But it is an accomplished fact.  She then told me that Father has taken a turn for the worse, and that she fears for him.  I thought at first that this statement was a play for my sympathy, in the hope that I would have pity in my heart.  She need not have bothered, for pity I have little of. 



I soon realized, however, that she was in earnest and her concern quite real.  She said that she was going to send for the doctor in Vernon at daybreak.  She then confirmed what I suspected would happen; that Thomas, or TJ as that is my pet name for him, was going to leave for Daniel's where he would thereafter stay, but that he was going to spend another night here at the house given father's condition.  She planned to spend the night at Father's side, watching over him.  I began to protest, but she was firmly and quietly insistent.  Mother then returned upstairs. 



After my writing session at the table, I turned into the bed in Mother's room, but absent Mother.  She, true to what she had said, stayed at Father's side, dozing from time to time.  The doors between our rooms remained open, and I awoke to see her in the chair beside his bed, sometimes reaching over to feel his feverish forehead.  After my second writing session last night, I finally fell into a deeper sleep.



At dawn this morning, TJ arose, not needing to dress as he had no change of clothing with him.  He will later see if he can find some among the rubble that was Father's cabin (TJ having lived with father for several years), but his first mission was to fetch a doctor.  He grabbed the brown and white mare from the barn whom we call Molly, and headed out in haste to fetch Dr. Robbins in Vernon township.  I was awake, watching the skies out the window turn from dark blue to light blue, then to violet before the sun peered over the horizon. 



Mother was asleep, slumped over the bed, head down, buried in the quilt.  I heard an occasional cough, Father having been propped up a bit. If he lies propped up in the bed, his cough is better, but the pain is worse. Conversely, when he lies flat, his cough is worse, but the pain is somewhat better.   



As Mother slept, I heard father whispering, loud enough for me to hear, "Susie" and something about "sister."  I could not make it out.  Was he calling for his sister whom he mistakenly thought was Susie, or the other way around?  As Mother stirred, awakening, I arose and dressed and went downstairs.



With my sisters gone, the chore of cooking falls squarely to me and Mother. This is an unfortunate turn of events for those within my tumultuous household, for I certainly cannot prepare anything apart from jam on bread. Perhaps "tumultuous" is an overstatement, as I am the only inhabitant who appears to be disturbed by Father's presence.



I was thus grateful for the warm biscuits, brought up by Susie minutes ago, placed upon our table before she quickly exited. I watched out the window as she scurried down the back path to the slave quarters.  She was wise to not have simply left them on our doorstep, as Father's dog is ever present by the door.  I took three of the dozen or so, wrapped in a warm towel, and considered whether I should leave the residence.  Perhaps it was stubbornness, mixed with a bit of rebelliousness, that compelled me out the door.



Just before my long walk to the river, I plucked several blackberries from the bushes at the forest edge. Juicy and tangy, the flavor burst on my grateful tongue, for I have been quite hungry as of late, given my forays hither and yon. I partook with due deliberation,



I considered the texture, rough and seedy and slightly crunchy. It then occurred to me to pair them with the biscuits, made with the addition of buttermilk and cornmeal. I slowly nibbled at this joined concoction, enjoying each tiny bite. I rolled each portion around on my tongue, tasting little pockets of salt that had not been stirred into the biscuit dough properly. But this made for a delightful combination of sweetness and salt, with a dash of sour from the occasional unripe berry.  I headed down the path toward the river.



The twittering of the birds that had started first as a small sound in the distance, was now quite the chattering as I went along, barefoot.  After my walk yesterday, I found myself with blisters on the heels of my feet, and my shoes almost ruined.  I decided to venture out without them.  The forest floor was covered with pine needles which made my little barefoot journey easier in a way, although the occasional twig and thorn and rock reminded me that perhaps I should have not been so hasty to have foregone the shoes.



The path from our house leads perhaps two miles to the river, varying from deep forest to small clearings of newer growth wood.  Most of the trees are pine, with the occasional oak and some other trees whose name I forget.  The smell at this time of the day was heavenly, the pine needles sending up a scent that permeated the entire forest.  A flower or two on a vine here and there poked their heads out and a very subtle, sweet vanilla scent wafted from them.



I have grown to love my walks to the river.  In the five years past, I perhaps walked there once or twice a month, being much more inclined to stay inside and write or read a book or daydream.  I have probably walked there more in the last two weeks than I have in two months.  A few more days of these walks and it will be a habit.



I could see the river from about thirty feet away when I chose to stop.  I did not want to have the sun on me as I had yesterday.  I was a little red, and my skin felt tight, hot, and dry; I was not going to repeat that mistake.



I found a large, smooth rock upon which to sit, and gathering my skirts up a bit, sit I did.  A mockingbird started its varying tune in the distance, but it got closer and closer until I could see its grayish wings with their stripes directly above me.  I said a little prayer to my grandmother, for I was superstitious enough to think that whenever I saw what had been her favorite bird, that it was really she come to look over me. 



Sliding from the rock to the forest floor, I carefully smoothed out a spot upon which to lie.  I thought I'd be able to look up past the treetops, up to blue patches of sky with marvelous tufts of white intermingled.  I let down my hair, and loved that pine needles found their way among the strands.  This way, I thought, I will have the scent with me for as long as I can.



Now this, I thought, is what God truly is, or at least where he is.  All around us, alive and vibrant in nature.  I paused.  While I be struck dead?  Is this a sacrilegious thought?  Since I really have no idea what religion truly is, how would I know?



As I lay there, lost in thought, I heard voices, occasionally laughing, and the tone going from low to high.  I propped myself up on my elbows, but still laying down for the most part.  I tried to see the source of the voices which seem to have stopped about fifty feet away, advancing no further.  And then, one of the pair of them turned more toward my direction and there was Susie.  This got my curiosity, noting that the other voice with the back to me belonged to a man, one with long black hair, pulled back with a leather thong.  I recognized him as one of the natives who sometimes could be seen across the river hunting or fishing.



The two embraced, and I was so startled that I bolted upright, giving away my hiding place.  Susie looked square at me, her gaze betraying no fear or remorse, but perhaps more like defiance.  This was a revelation, that Susie could have a lover, and that he is a native.  And that he is not my father. 



There.  There it was.  The thought that I have had for years:  that Susie and Father were lovers.



I did not quite know what to do.  Should I pretend that I did not see them?  This would, of course, only be an artifice, for truly I had seen them, of this there was no doubt in anyone's mind.  Should I approach, and say something?  This, I was unprepared to do as I was without words. 



So my third option, to leave, is what I did.  Up I got, brushed off as much debris as I could, and headed back down the path toward home.

No comments:

Post a Comment