Friday, February 24, 2017

Forty-Five, Deeper


Forty-Five

Deeper


21 June 1824



Yesterday afternoon, after services, John walked me home along the path.  On a path going the opposite direction once we reached the river, Mr. Houck was walking with Nan.  It appears that we are in danger of repeating the circumstances of a Jane Austen novel--quick romances, best friends, sisters.  All that is missing, really, is marrying into great wealth.  Ha!

But it does not matter to me, this great wealth.  We had a comfortable living in Laurens, I suppose.  We were also (and still are) in close proximity to the wealth of my uncle.  But I cannot see where this wealth brings about the deepest of emotions. 

I do not mock the comfortable circumstances that I have had and continue to have.  I am not unmindful that there is always food on the table, and that, other than our trip to Alabama, I have always had a comfortable bed in which to sleep.  There is always a fire, and always someone to tend to it.

There are people in our midst who go about providing for us such daily comforts, and in return, they have a roof over their head, food to eat, clothes to wear, and some semblance of happiness I suppose. 

We have our share of tragedy, too, and it is no greater nor worse on the account of wealth, or so it seems.

I guess that I am thinking on these things now, because John appears to be something of a social reformer.  I am of no opinion on the matter at this point, but I am interested in whatever interests John.  He is a good person, and I believe that good shall always follow him. 

John appears to be genuinely interested in me, beyond the fact that there are few that he could look to for a companion.  This still baffles me a little.  Mayhaps he should see me on a Tuesday, looking for eggs with straw and feathers in my hair, and a smudge upon my face, rather than the scrubbed appearance that I present for services, every hair in place, and my best frock being displayed.

On another matter, I wonder how Nan is negotiating the issue of Father with Mr. Houck lingering about.  I have not again had a moment to speak with the latter about his query, and I am grateful for that.  I have no clear answer for him.  I suppose that he will make his choice, and soon will be asking for Nan's hand.

It is ironic, I think, that things are moving down such a path so quickly!  Nan and I met Mr. Houck and John on the same evening last month, and now it appears that she is to be married soon, while I am just getting acquainted.  I much prefer my own way on such a matter, much as I wish to dream about the future and how bright I believe that it can be.  There is much to be cautious about, and rather than marry first and worry later, I would prefer to proceed slowly, with due diligence. 

John gave me much to think about, bringing my thoughts from the frivolous to the practical.  I appreciate such conversation.  I have spent many years keeping my own counsel, and it is refreshing that someone should think me worthy of sharing the deeper discussions.  What we talked about, I shall have to leave for another time, as it is growing dark and I need to reflect some more on what we spoke about.   But I shall also hope to dream of John tonight, for doing so causes me to smile, and, dare I say, be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment