Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Forty-One, Intention





Forty-One



Intention



14 June 1824



I spent yesterday afternoon putting my plan into action.  I told Mother that I was off to see my sisters, they still remaining at Uncles, and that part was true.  I took Molly, the brown and white mare, riding her side-saddle rather than hooking up a wagon or the buggy as I did not want the opportunity for Mother to say that she wanted to come along.  For I was on a mission that Mother might not approve of, were she to know the full extent of it.



What I did not reveal to Mother was that I stopped by Warner's place first.  I desired to convince him that he would be delighted to have his sister come stay with him; it was surprisingly easy, although perhaps his wife did not think so at first.  But presented the opportunity to have help during what was becoming a difficult lying-in, and to further have the opportunity to instruct little Thomas, the pair were agreeable rather quickly.  They wanted two days to prepare space for me, and we decided that I should move my few belongings on Wednesday, with Warner agreeing to bring his wagon around for me at about four o'clock.



I then continued on to Uncle's house for the purpose of visiting my sisters and their agreeable host.  I had not seen them since the storm, and so I knew that I would have much to catch up on.  When I arrived, there was much commotion.  Owing to Uncle's second marriage, his first having ended sadly with the death of my sister-in-law, there were many children a-foot.  Patsy was engaged in entertaining some of them, while Nan was in the parlor with Mr. Houck.



I suppose that I should not have been surprised at Mr. Houck's presence; I perhaps was only surprised that neither he nor Mr. DuBois had mentioned that he was still seeing my sister.  I suppose the opportunity to speak on the matter had not really arisen.



Uncle was away on some sort of business and would not be back for another day or two.  My aunt was resting, so Nan and I--and Mr. Houck--exchanged pleasantries before settling into the business of my upcoming move.   I informed my sister of the doctor's diagnosis of Father's condition, and that it would be considered wise to keep a distance when possible.  I did not tell her that Mother had taken up sleeping in the room with Father, as this would raise the issue that they had ever been separated.  I assumed that Nan would not mention any such personal information to Mr. Houck.



I inquired as to whether Nan and Patsy would be staying with Uncle much longer, for though they were undoubtedly welcome for a week or two, staying indefinitely might well be an imposition.  Uncle's house is uncommonly spacious, but it nonetheless is fairly crowded owing to the numerous children and my sisters besides.  Nan said that in light of my pending move, perhaps it was time for her and Patsy to return home.  A look of delight came over Mr. Houck's countenance, as I suppose he realized that coming home would make it much easier for him to see Nan.  Mr. Houck then asked if perhaps I would like to take a short walk in the garden with him, while Nan joined Patsy in play with their cousins.



I was caught by surprise, and thus was unprepared for a reason to decline.  I followed him outside, partially curious, but mostly annoyed, as I had not grown very fond of Mr. Houck in the short period of time that I had spent in his presence.



Miss Williams, he started.  I shall be direct.  I intend to ask for Miss Nancy's hand in marriage.  Normally, I would pursue the matter with your father, but given his illness, I thought that I would inquire as to whether I should speak to your mother, or one or more of your brothers, or perhaps yourself?  I do not know the proper etiquette in these matters.



I was silent a good long while, with many a thought crossing my mind.  How could he possibly be entertaining such a notion?  And so quickly?  Nancy was but eighteen, and although many a person has married before such an age, this was my dear sister he was inquiring after.  Would she even be agreeable?  Yes, I suppose she would, I thought.  I remembered how the two seemed to be very comfortable in each other's presence; indeed, almost like bread and butter.



And who, indeed, should he ask?  Oh my.  What if he endeavoured to ask Father, even though he be ill; what if Nancy should be of the opinion that Father should have no say in the matter whatsoever, his behaviour having relieved any fatherly duties long ago.  Oh goodness.



I finally answered to Mr. Houck that I should like to think on the matter a while, and that I did not have a ready answer for him.  He seemed a little disappointed, but he accepted my answer, and we returned to the parlor, Nancy being none the wiser I thought.



The excitement of my upcoming move now being dampened by Mr. Houck's inquiry, I decided to take my leave.  We discussed that perhaps my sisters should return to the house on Tuesday, so that they could help me gather my things, and so that we could all discuss any further matter.  I left "any further matter" to mean details concerning the move, but I intended to speak to my sister of Mr. Houck.  I did not wish to hamper my sister's happiness, especially in light of our peculiar circumstances with which we have lived many a year.  But I needed to know that she was not, like our older sister Elizabeth, simply marrying the first person to come along. 



I had much to think on as I took my leave.

1 comment:

  1. When will you post the next segment of this story? Soon I hope - Having trouble waiting and I am so aware that today is the 23rd with only 5 more days to the challenge!

    ReplyDelete