Friday, February 24, 2017

47, Slavery


Forty-Seven

Slavery

23 June 1824

John told me that as a child, he witnessed slaves being offloaded from northern and from Dutch boats, to be sold at auctions.  He told me the conditions these creatures were presented in, worse than horses.  The slaves that were left unsold often then were left to fend for themselves, or worse, far worse.  For the ship's crew could not take the slaves anywhere else, and something needed to be done with them.  Sometimes the sick and the dead slaves that were left on the boats were dumped into the harbor, the stench being so bad that you could choke from it on certain days.

John told me that in his faith, Mr. Wesley had preached abolition quite strongly, but that in England, Mr. Wesley had not encountered slavery, nor what John saw happening in Charleston.  So the Methodists of Charleston had to adapt their thinking.  John said that at least in one Methodist church, the practice became that they pooled funds to buy as many slaves as they could at the point that the slaves were otherwise going to be disposed of, unsold.  He told me that these slaves were then distributed amongst the congregants, as they had not the means to otherwise house and clothe them.  He told me how they taught trades to the slaves, and in his father's case, this was carpentry.  He said that the slaves were given Sundays off, and that the slaves attended church along with their masters, intermingling with them in the congregation, and drinking from the same cup at communion. 

John said that slaves were allowed to keep the money that they earned from selling things on Sunday, and that often, these funds came back to the church in the form of tithes.  He said that this caused an issue at his church, because the negroes had grown in number so much that they soon outnumbered the whites, and but that they had no say as to what their money that was being contributed would be used for.  This understandably caused tension.

He told me that after services, the slaves were instructed in scripture, and were taught to read as a part of the instruction, although this was surreptitious for the most part.  He said that the legislature and governing officials could not interfere with the running of churches on this matter, and that otherwise, it is forbidden to instruct the slaves in reading, due to the feared dangers of insurrection.

John said that his parents owned a few slaves, one or two inherited, and one bought at auction as one who would have otherwise gone unsold and thus disposed of in some way.  He told me that his father paid the slaves some money when he was able to hire their work out to others.  He said that he thought their slaves were treated fairly, for the most part, but that he was very much troubled that they were not free.  He talked of the laws that do not permit the freeing of slaves without the ability to provide for them after freedom, for it is thought that slaves are like children, and we do not turn children out on the streets to fend for themselves.  He said that in Alabama, slaves are not permitted to be freed at all, there being nowhere for them to go as there is in Charleston.  At least, he said, that is the reasoning.

John then looked at me, and I am not certain what expression I had on my face, for I have frankly never really thought on these things before.  Slavery is just a part of my family's way of life; they are like family to us, or so we like to say.  When I think on it, of course, they are not like family, for they do not stay in our houses with us, and they do not eat at the table with us, and they are not free to come and go as they wish.

And then I remembered Susie, and what Father had told me.  And I think that before John and I get more serious, I shall have to tell him what Father has told me.  I fear what will happen then.  What will John think, or what will he do?  I believe him to be a fair man, and a wise one, too.  I hope that he can help me decide what to do.  But I fear that he might not wish to be involved in these matters, and that he will turn away and see me no more.  For why should he be involved with a family that has so many troubles, and has brought such shame and scandal, when he can surely find someone without all of these problems.  Most of me wants to trust him, though. 

I cannot live with this secret and become close with this man without sharing it, and tonight, I shall.

1 comment:

  1. Tension rising! I await the next installment with bated breath!

    ReplyDelete