Saturday, March 4, 2017

Sixty-Two Journal


Sixty-Two

Journal

15 September 1824

Oh happy day!!  This journal was brought to me by Sarah Terry.  Of course, it was very wonderful to see her, as always, but this gem that she brought me excites me so much!  The Methodist Church circuit riders have a connexion to what they call The Methodist Book Concern, which supplies the ministers with their books and also writing materials.  It was thus that this journal came into the hands of Reverend Terry, then to his wife, then to me!

What I love best about it is that it contains far more pages than I ever imagined, and it is about the right size, being small enough to fit into a saddle bag, but large enough for me to write for months.

It has been forever since I have been able to write, so I shall try to mention the most important events since last I wrote:

Warren is still grieving, but he is working hard, and he is gaining solace, I think, from being in our class.  It is such a welcome relief to have him praying, discussing scripture, and most especially singing, for his wonder bass is such a nice addition to our tenor-heavy group.

Grace has grown so much!  She is still a little scrawny, but she has discovered mice and voles, and, unfortunately, baby birds, so she shall fatten up soon I should think.  She follows Warren around everywhere, and when we walk to the Terrys for class and for services, she usually skitters along with us, at least as far as the falls.  There she often waits for us to return, and then she skitters back with us to the house.

I have been learning more about cooking from Nan.  I can now prepare not only soup, but am mastering the art of bread-baking and the occasional roasted fowl of one type or another.  I have so far not burnt anything, but sometimes the bird dries out before it is completely done.  Warren eats without complaint, and so far, I have not killed anyone.

I continue to think about Susie.  As each day goes by and I have not heard anything, I pray to God that she is as yet alive and unharmed and on her way to some exciting new adventure.  I also am trying to get to know the slaves a little better, at least, Warren’s slaves.  I think that they might be a little startled at my newfound interest and questions, but they seem to be patient with me.  The Methodists are teaching me to be a little more understanding and kind toward them, but I still find irony in them having slaves in their families if they truly object.

Nan is still at my parents’ house where she seems to be content.  She and Father have a peaceful co-existence, and although I am grateful that my sister can manage in this way, I do wish that she understood better why it is that I cannot.  Of course, she does not know TJ’s story.

Patsy remains with Uncle John Elmore, helping with the children but also having quite the good time.  I believe that she very much enjoys the more monied life than what she would have at my parents’.

Daniel continues to struggle with the bottle.  His wife Lavisa long ago went to stay with her family, for she no longer could be in the house with Daniel.  She was not allowed to take their son Thomas with her, for children are considered the providence of their fathers, and as I know too well, it takes exigent circumstances of an extreme measure or else cooperation of the father for it to be otherwise.  Daniel would not give his permission, so Thomas had to stay.  However, Daniel allows Thomas to come stay with Warren and me from time to time, and I do my best to school him when he is here.  We play a lot and have fun whenever we can, for I suspect that he does not have such a chance at his father’s.

Daniel has TJ staying with him still, which mostly seems to work out. TJ manages to stay out of the way , it being helpful that he has a new beau now, Miss Evalina Young.  She seems to be quite delightful and I look forward to knowing her better.

My brother Josiah, Junior, lives further away, and we do not see him much.  He is eight years my senior and has only one living child.  I believe that they have had much sorrow in their lives.  I find it easy to forgive Hundley (the name that he is better known as) for whatever part that he played in my parents’ divorce.  He has endured the pain and suffering in his life with dignity.  He has taken Father’s assets that were assigned to him years ago and has done well with them, and he manages to send Warner and me a little stipend each year.  We are very grateful for that.

John should be back from Mobile sometime in the next three weeks.  I try very hard to not miss him so very much, and to keep myself otherwise occupied.  I shall be ever so excited to see him after such a long absence!

4 comments:

  1. I thank the Methodist Book Concern etc. for the journal with many pages. I hope we are able to learn what has happened to Suzy. It also seems that Rev Terry is doing a good job of shepherding his little flock. I hope we learn more of he and Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Divorce, legal dissolution of a marriage, after which both parties are free to marry again, was impossible at the time and in the places of this story. In actual fact, Louisa's parents were legally separated. Surely, the dimensions of their estrangement may be conveyed without the anachronism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be cleaning up a few things in the second draft to be sure. And figuring out whether this will be a work of fiction "inspired by" true characters and events.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make that, a lot of things. I'm just trying to knock out what now will be at least two, if not three books of some sort. Even if it is only for my own entertainment. So, I'm writing an average 1800 words a day, not yet editing. I appreciate your continuing input, J.

    ReplyDelete