Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Fifty-Seven, Gone (cont.)


Fifty-Seven

5 July 1824 (cont.)

John said to me, we need to think about this logically.  If your parents decide to employ slave-hunters, there is nothing we can do.  We can hope that Susie just comes home willingly, and does not invite further trouble.

On the other hand, he said, if she took off with the native, chances are that they are deep into Creek territory and will never be found.  I am not so certain that slave hunters will want to venture there unless the reward is great.  Is your father--or mother--willing to pay much for her capture?

I do not think so, John, I said.  Part of me is hoping that Susie gets away, far, far away.  But do we know if her life would be any better?  She has had a horrible past, to be sure, but do you not think she runs the risk of much worse while on the run?

Then it dawned on me.  The irony.  Or perhaps not.

John, I said.  It is Independence Day today.   I realize that what Father told her last night was probably the impetus, but what if she has been planning this for some time now?  I have no idea how long she has been seeing this native.  But maybe she planned to get away on this day, all along.  Independence Day.  Hmmmm...

I had forgotten that, said John.  We have been so wrapped up in this, that we have lost sight of what today is.  You may be right.  She may have planned this all along.  Or at least thought about it, with Father's revelation to her being the very reason she needed to go on and execute her plan.

Another thing that we need to consider, Louisa, is your sister.  If Nan were to be given Susie for her wedding, it is really up to her.  The loss of a slave is no small thing.  The value is usually more than the house or the land that a small-time planter owns.  Do you think that he will give Nan a different slave if Susie is not found?

I have no idea, John, I said.  Father was sued by my brother-in-law on behalf of my sister Elizabeth when Father tried to get out of giving her a slave for her wedding, as promised.  While Father has been no stranger to litigation in the past, it has been years since he has been involved in a lawsuit, and I think those days are behind him.  I suspect that he will give her another one, yes.  But maybe it will be Rebecca.  That will make for interesting discussions to be sure.

Rebecca was an 87 year old slave who stayed in her cabin all day, having been deemed too old to be of use beyond drawing water and tending to fires.  So if Joseph sues Father over this, the issue will be whether Father promised "a" slave, or whether he promised Susie in particular.  Interesting question.  It could go either way.

John and I were standing this whole time by the horses--one of Father's, and John's.  John's was not saddled as of yet.

John, I said.   We have been standing beside our horses for some time now.  I think we know what our inclinations are.  I suppose we could ride a little into Creek Territory, though.  Any more, the natives that are left close by to here are friendly.  We really do not risk much.

John looked at me with a smile.  It was good to see him smile, for he has been so serious today.  Louisa, he said.  Let us go forth and at least ride up to the Council House.  But we should not do more than that.  For to be doing even that much is breaking the Sabbath, and I do not like doing that.  But perhaps this is a mission for us to save a soul, and the Lord is always in favor of that.

I laughed.  John, you have a way of logic that is amusing.  I think you have found your humour.

With that, John saddled up his horse, and the two of us headed toward the Council House, nearby, but in Creek Territory.

1 comment:

  1. Whew! Things are happening very quickly now. I was disappointed when I realized that this was the last post. I guess I will just have to wait for more.

    ReplyDelete