Tuesday, March 7, 2017

70, More


Seventy

More

8 October 1824 (cont.)

Father spoke again, finally.  First, Louisa, at that time, long ago, I did not believe that Susie could be my daughter.  Perhaps I just did not want to think about it.

Second, he said.  And he took another while to say it.  Second, he started again, I know that an affidavit was sworn out that I had committed “flagitious behaviour” with a Negro girl within my house, and that one of my sons and another witnessed it.  I must say to you, Louisa, that I do not know exactly what that means.  I know what that implies, however.  I think that it was a lawyerly way to say something and imply another; it allows your imagination to come up with things far worse than what actually happened. 

I do think that I was probably at some time being a little playful.  Maybe flirtatious.  Maybe something more.

It was something more, Father, I said.  Something much more.  I completely believe my brother on this point.  He has no reason to lie, and seeing the way in which he told me, the disgust in his voice, I do not believe that he would lie.

Father sat up in his chair, and started to look a little angry and not so in control of his demeanor.

How long ago were you told, Louisa, of this somehow horrible behaviour on my part?

Not long ago, said I.

I suspect that I know what happened, then, Louisa, he said. 

Recently, I had a quarrel with your brother, TJ.  I let him know that I no longer have hardly any property to my name.  I told him how I sold most of what I had to your brother Josiah, at maaayyybee (he drew this word out) less than fair market value.  I told him that I had done this for two reasons.  One, I did not want any of my creditors to touch any of my property.  And two, it was an act of love, and caring, but mostly of trying to prove to your mother that I was going to try and do right by all of you.  Your mother had told me that she wanted nothing more from me, other than what she already had.  But she would not stand in the way of me giving property to Josiah who would then give shares to the rest of you.

Father, said I.  Stop this.  I have never received any such share from Josiah.  And besides, you sold the property to him.  You did not give it to him.  Not only that, said I, for I had just realized something. 

Doing so, selling all or nearly all of your property to Josiah would mean that you were divesting yourself of anything that could make an income.  And by doing that, you were no longer going to be able to pay Mother the alimony.

Father sat silent for a while.

He said, sometimes you do something, and you convince yourself that you do it for a certain reason, and you finally believe your motive to be completely a good one.

I guess, he said, that you are right.  It did end my ability to pay your mother alimony.  I did not see it as such, because she had been supported by her brother John for many years.  He has always held sway with her, and I think it is because he can afford to keep her living in a certain way.  This has been a source of humiliation ever since I moved our family to Laurens so that she could be near her brother. 

I shall forever regret that decision, moving to Laurens.  I should have stayed in Virginia.  How different life would have been.

Would it?  Said I.

Father, I saw with my own eyes you threatening to kill mother.  I saw you holding the knife.  I heard you saying horrible things to her.  And, Father, let me be clear.  I. Saw. You. Doing. Something. To. Susie. In. Front. Of. Mother. And. Us. Three. Girls. 

I drew this last part out, for it needed to be emphasized.

Father, you were saying that you could do whatever you wanted to.  And you demonstrated behaviour that you would misbehave with a house servant, whether or not she ended up being your child.  You must take responsibility for these things!

Louisa, he said after a bit.

Louisa, I do not remember much of that day.  I do remember threatening your mother.  But I also remember immediately regretting it.  And I remember crying in front of you and asking for you forgiveness.  That much I remember very well.  As for you brother and what he allegedly saw, I do not remember.  I do not know what TJ told you, but I do deny having done anything that would rise to the level of “flagitious behaviour”, whatever is meant by that.

I do not know what else there is for me to say.

But I do know this, Louisa.  I do deeply regret hurting your mother and causing any of you children to fear me. 

He then fell silent and waited for me to respond.

I had to take a while.  The world was spinning around me.  I had been sitting on the edge of the bed while I was talking to him, with John standing nearby.  But now, I lay back on the bed for a good long while.  John eventually sat on the edge of the bed next to me, and he held my hand, occasionally stroking my arm in a reassuring manner.

Father, I said, sitting up again. 

Here is what I believe.  I believe that you were a heavy drinker who did sober up. 

But I do know what I saw when I was ten, and it was you saying obscene things and threatening Mother with a knife.  I believe that Susie may be your child, but she also might not be, and that regardless,  you had no business laying a hand on her which you did do.  Whether it was as horrible as I am told or not, you had the moral obligation to not touch her.

I believe that you got rid of the property because you did not want to pay Mother any longer.

I also do believe that over the last five years, you have tried to humble yourself, remain sober, and be respectful.  I know that somehow you have made peace with Mother.  I will leave you two to work out whatever there is to work out.  I no longer care.

I also know that you are ill;  I do not know how long you will live.  I know that I do want to make peace with you before you die.   I believe that you are now a weak man in every sense of the word, an old man whom I pity.   I no longer grieve for the father that I thought I deserved.

 When I see you in such a way, I can forgive you, for you have become a nothing to me any more.

                And with that, I got up and started to walk, and then all went black.

2 comments: